ESTABLISHMENT OF THE CONGREGATION
The Presbyterian church of Ghana-Pokuase was established in the early 1960’s by a P. W. D. overseer called Thomas James lewis and his wife Kwarley, both of blessed memory. The church was located at Pokuase Township and was housed by Mr. Attuquaye Quaye free of charge.
Mr. Ayisi Samuel a teacher was nominated to be a caretaker in 1961. The church was placed under the Accra New Town district. In 1963 Evangelist Henry Adom Odonkor was brought from Osu Ebenezer Presby church to take over from Mr. Samuel Ayisi. He visited many surrounding villages preaching the good news with his accordion. He trained one Madison from Adabraka for practices (1974 – 1975) and also Mr. Gideon Teye Anim leading to his Abetifi catechist course (1975 – 1977).
ACQUISITION OF LAND AND CONSTRUCTION OF CATHEDRAL
By 1964, the church acquired a piece of land but could not move there till 1970.
One staunch member, barrister C. T. Yeboah did his best with his contractor from Accra and started the foundation of the church building in 1967 and it was completed in 1986.
The official laying of the cornerstone was however made on 25th January, 1975 by RT. Rev. G. K. Sintim Misa. Meanwhile, the church met under a shed they erected on the plot they acquired from the then chief and elders of Pokuase. Evangelist Henry Adom Odonkor took ill died in 1977.
Mr. Andrew Akpor Pobee took over temporarily after the death of evangelist Henry Adom Odonkor. Mr. Andrew Akpor Pobee wa a teacher and worked for six years (1977 – 1983), he was later transferred to Oyarifa by his school authorities. Mr. George Lartey Mantey took over as a volunteer caretaker till 1988. He worked hand in hand with Mr. Ebenezer O. Quartey. He was also transferred to Alajo.
In June 1968, Mr. J. K. A. Ollenu was brought from Medie as a catechist. In December 1988, Mr. Ollenu was transferred to Achimota and Mr. Bernard Nartey Ahoni a retired master and a catechist was brought from kpone Bawaleshie to take over from Ollenu. Ahoni stayed until 1992 and was transferred to Sarpeiman. It was at this time that Rev. Joshua Aryee was posted to Pokuase as a full time pator with oversight responsibility of the Ga rural (now Ga Mission Field West) congregations namely Pokuase, Otsirikonfo, Ofankor, Samsam Medie, Manhia, Obom, kotoku and Mayera.
Mr. C. Frimpong Bannerman a catechist and a school teacher took over from Mr. Ahoni.
Since mission field was created, the following ministers have been sent.
ROLL OF MINISTERS
- Rev. Joshua C. S. Aryee (1992 – 1996)
- Rev. Solomon Nii Quansah Adjei (1995 – 1997)
- Rev. George Abbey (1996 – 1998)
- Rev. Simon L. Adjovu (1998 – 2001)
- Rev. Lily Oteng Yeboah (2001 – 2006)
- Rev. Stephen Okan Adjetey (2006 – 2008)
- Rev. Nana Bosemprah (2006 – 2008)
- Rev. Isaac Quist (2008 – 2012)
- Rev. Nathaniel Abbey (2012 – 2014)
- Rev. Lorna Khemchand (2014 – date)
The following ministers also worked in the mission field at a point in time. Rev. Okwei, Rev. Bawa, Rev. Ayitey Atiapa, Rev. Blasu, Rev. E. N. Okai.
The congregation was relocated to new Achimota district in September 2008 and rev. Isaac Quist was inducted as the first minister and with his enthusiasm in the ministry, he moved the congregation to a new level both spiritually and physically.
THESE ARE THE NAMES OF PAST CATECHIST/CARETAKERS
- Samuel Ayisi Caretaker 1961 – 1963
- Henry Adom Odonkor Evangelist 1963 – 1977
- Andrew Akpor Pobee Caretaker 1977 – 1983
- George Lartey Mantey Caretaker 1983 – 1988
- J. A. K. Ollenu Caretaker 1988 – 1988 (June – Dec)
- Benoni Nartey Ahoni Catechist 1988 – 1992
- Frimpong C. Bannerman Catechist 1992 – 1995
- Samuel Adjei Catechist 1995 – 2002
- Quaye Solomon Catechist 2002 – 2007
- Agyemang Baffour Ag. Caretaker 2007 – 2008
- Agyemang Baffour Catechist 2008 – Date
LIST OF CURRENT SESSION
- Rev. Lorna Khemchand Chairperson
- Cat. Agyeman Baffour Catechist
- Mr. Francis Mensah Snr. Presbyter
- Berima Kwame Sakyi Asst. Snr. Presbyter
- Mrs. Elizabeth Agyapong Session Clerk
- Mr. Bernard Okutu Asst. Session Clerk
- Mr. Kwaku Asiamah Director of Finance
- Mrs. Grace Addy Asst. director of Finance
- Mrs. Dora Bediako Protocol
- Madam Juliana Adu Presbyter
- Madam Alice Asare Presbyter
- Mrs. Elisabeth Obuobisa Presbyter
- Mr. David Akuoko-Osman Presbyter
- Mr. Robert Darko Presbyter
- Mr. Prince E. K. Animante Presbyter