The Presbyterian Church of Ghana, (New Legon) owes it’s birth to the early missionary evangelist campaigns between 1858 and 1869. During the period, many stations were opened and among them were the Legon station.
The Legon station was at a small village situated at where we now have the University of Ghana. It was then a small village and the central focal point of worship for the out lying villages and the natives who had been converted to the Christian faith.
The initial station opened by the missionaries at Legon could not last beyond 1918. This was due to the hostile attitude metted out to the villagers by the first world war veterans camped near the village. The soldiers in some cases destroyed their crop farms and personal belongings. The hostility of the soldiers was such that, the inhabitants deserted the village. This seriously affected the work of the missionaries, leading to the collapse of the missionary station at Legon Village.
Some of the brethren found their way to Nsawam, Abelemkpe, Apenkwa, Teshie and Osu to put up with their Christian brothers and sisters. However one of them, Natheniel Nii Mensah-Fio Quartey and his family journeyed towards the western end of the fallen Legon Village. They settled on a part of a family land close to the Accra-Nsawam railway line near Dome.
Nathaniel Nii Mensha-Fio Quartey first names the new settlement Bethany, but later changed it to New Legon to indicate the origin of this new settlement. Some relatives later joined Mr. Quartey and his family at the new settlement. In order to maintain their Christian faith, they joined the Presbyterian Church at Apenkwa.
Between 1925 and 1956, the Christian brethren at the new settlement worshipped with the congregation at Apenkwa. As walking to and from Apenkwa for worship every Sunday became a challenge for many of them due to old age, the New Legon (Oko Congregation) was started, to cater for these ageing brethren.
The first Church Service was held on Sunday February 12, 1956 with an initial membership of 32, made of 15 Adults and 19 cihldren. The service was conducted under a Nim Tree between the houses of Nii Mensah-Fio Quartey and John Bio Quartey. However, it was not until 1958 that all the Presbyterians at the village joined the church at New Legon and stopped worshipping at Apenkwa.
Prominent among the pioneering members were:
- Emmanuel Kofi Quartey
- Emmanuel Kwatey-Anku Quartey
- John Bio Quartey
Out of these 3, Emmanuel Kofi Quartey was selected and appointed as the first lay preacher of the church, whiles the remaining 2 and some few others were chosen to play the role of church elders.
Between 1957 and 1958, the leadership of the church saw the urgent need to build a permanent chapel to house it’s members. By the grace of God the chapel was completed by August 2, 1958 and was dedicated to the glory of God in December 1958 by the Rev R. E. Martey, then district pastor of Adabraka.
Landmark Historical Events
In 1991 the session led by the catechist, Mr. Christopher Coffie Sai, saw the need to construct a new and bigger chapel to accomodate the increasing members of the congregation. The decision of the session came to effect on March 28, 1993 with the Rev. Ft. Col. (Rtd) S. O. Y. Adade, district pastor of Accra New Town officiated at the sword-cutting ceremony for the new chapel building.
The council of elders of New Legon (Oko) Township on October 10, 1996 made a cash donation of 10 million old Ghana Cedis towards the construction of the new chapel building. In 1999 the congregation moved from the old to the new chapel while it was still under construction.
In 1997, the leadership of the catechist, C.C. Sai, and the senior presbyter, D. N. Ogum, the congregation at New Legon planted and natured the New Ashongmena Congregation (now Gilgal Congregation in the Haatso District).
The idea to start a school complex, consisting of a Nursery, a Kindagarten, a Primary and Junior High School came up in 2007 when the Rev. E. N. Okwei was the Minister0in-charge. This was materialized during the tenure of the Rev. Dr. Joseph Apea Assamoah.
On Nvember 2, 2009, Catechist James Appiah performed a brief ceremony for the commencement of the school. The school which started with 18 pupils, 6 volunteers consisting of 2 teachers, 1 attendant and 3 kitchen staff, now has 163 pupils, 14 teachers and 3 non-teaching staff.
The church commenced the construction of a three-storey (four-floor) classroom block for the school in December 2012. We are grateful fo the Lord for fruits of the labour for the people of God.