ESTABLISHMENT OF THE CONGREGATION
The Presbyterian Church of Ghana, New Legon (Oko) congregation owes its birth to the early missionary evangelistic campaigns between 1858 and 1869. During this period, many stations were opened and among them was the Legon Station. The Legon Station was at a small village situated at where we now have the University of Ghana. It was then a small village and the central focal point of worship for the outlying villages and natives who had been converted to the Christian faith.
The initial station opened by the missionaries at legon could not last beyond 1918. This was due to the hostile attitude meted out to villagers by the First World War Veterans camped near the village. The soldiers in some cases destroyed their crop farms and personal belongings. The hostility of the soldiers was such that the inhabitants deserted the village. This seriously affected the work of Missionaries leading to the collapse of the Missionary Station at the village. Some of the brethren found their way to Nsawam, Abelemkpe, Teshie and OSU to put up with Christian brothers and sisters. However, one of them, Nathaniel-Fio Quartey and his family journeyed towards the western end of the fallen Legon village. They settled on a part of the family land close to the Accra-Nsawam railway line, near Dome. Nathaniel Nii Mensah-Fio Quartey, first named the new settlement Bethany but later changed it to New Legon to indicate the origin of this new settlement.
Some relatives later joined Mr.Quartey and his family at the new settlement. In order to maintain their Christian faith, they joined the Presbyterian Church at Apenkwa. Between 1925 and 1956 the Christian brethren at the new settlement worshipped with the congregation at Apenkwa. As walking to and from Apenkwa for worship every Sunday became a challenge for many of them due to old age, the New Legon (Oko) Congregation was started to cater for these ageing brethren. The first church service was held on Sunday, 12th February, 1956 with an initial membership of 32, made of 13 adults and 19 children. The service was conducted under a neem tree between the houses of Nii Mensah-Fio Quartey and John Boi Quartey. However, it was not until 1958 that all the Presbyterians at the village joined the church at New Legon and stopped worshipping at Apenkwa.
Prominent among the pioneering members were: Emmanuel Kofi Quartey, Emmanuel Kwatey-Anku Quartey and John Boi Quartey. Out of these three, Emmanuel Kofi Quartey was selected and appointed as the first Lay Preacher of the Church whilst the remaining two and some few others were chosen to play the role of Church Elders. Between 1957 and 1958 the leadership of the church saw the urgent need to build a permanent chapel to house its members. By the grace of God, the chapel was completed by 2nd August, 1958 and was dedicated to the glory of God in December 1958, by the Rev R.F. Mantey, then District Pastor of Ababraka.
LANDMARK HISTORICAL EVENTS
In 1991 the session led by the Catechist, Mr. Christopher Coffie Sai saw the need to construct a new and bigger chapel to accommodate the increasing membership of the congregation. The decision of the Session came to effect on 28th March 1993 when Rev. Lt. col. (rtd.) S.O.Y. Adade, District Pastor of Accra New Town, officiated at the sod-cutting ceremony for the new chapel building. The Council of Elders of the New Legon (Oko) township on 10th October, 1996 made a cash donation of ten million Cedis towards construction of the new chapel building. In 1999 the congregation moved from the old to the new chapel while it was still under construction.
In 1997 under the leadership of Catechist C.C. Sai and the senior Presbyter D.N. Ogum the congregation at New legon (Oko) planted and nurtured the New Ashongman Congregation (now Gilgal Congregation in Haatso.