Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
ESTABLISHMENT OF THE CONGREGATION
The initiative to establish a new congregation of the Presbyterian Church of Ghana was proposed by the North Taifa Congregation of the PGC, now, Grace Congregation.The purpose was to bring the Gospel of our Lord Jesus to people who because of distance constaints, among others could not attend divine service and other church activities at North Taifa Congregation. It was also in response to the great commission of the Lord in Matthew 28, to reach out to non- Christians in our area.
The first move to realize the goal was the establishment of a prayer Cell in the house of Emmanuel Yaw Agyei who was an elder at North Taifa Congregation. When the members of the Prayer Cell grew, the need for a bigger and a more suitable place was felt. To achieve this, a committe was commissioned under the auspices of the Bible Study and Prayer Group (BSPG) to champion the cause of evangelism in order to establish the congregation.
The committee was tasked to give progress report periodically to the Session Clerk of Grace Congregation. The underlisted were members of the committee.
- Mr. Sampson Adomako – Chaiman
- Mr. Seth Obiri-Mante – Secretary
- Mr. Partick Ntoni Sasu – Member/Advisor
- Mr. Eric Asiamah – Member
- Mr. Isaac Boadi Debrah – Member
- Miss Richlove Amoako -Treasurer
The maiden service was held on Easter Sunday, 27th March, 2005 and the officiating minister was Rev. Godfred Bamfo. The service was held on the top floor of an uncompleted building kindly donated by Mr. and Mrs. Ashong.
AQUSITION OF LAND
In October 2006, Mr. Emmanuel Agyei kindly sold his parcel of land very close to our meeting place to the congregation.
FIRST INTERIM SESSION
Soon after the establishment of the congregation, the committee charged with the task of the church planting was dissolved an in its place, a new Interim Session was constituted. The members were as follows:
- Mr. Partick Ntoni Sasu – Caretaker
- Mrs. Doris Irene Ashong – Acting Senior Presbyter
- Mr. Seth Obiri-Mante – Acting Secretary
- Mrs. Esther Agyekum – Acting Assist. Secretary
- Ms. Richlove Amoako – Acting Financial Director
- Mr. Isaac Asiedu Kessie – Member
- Mrs. Felicia Ansong – In charge of organizational activities
ELEVATION TO CONGREGATIONAL STATUS
After existing as a Preaching Post for four years, the assembly of the God’s people was elevated to a Congregational staatus on 14th June, 2009. The officiating minister was the Rev. Joseph Oduro-Awisi (District Minister of the New Achimota District).
On the 1st March, 2009 elections were held for the first Session. Members were as follows:
- Mrs. Doris Irene Ashong – Senior Presbyter
- Mr. Seth Obiri-Mante – Session Clerk
- Mrs. Esther Agyekum – Assist. Session Clerk
- Ms. Richlove Amoako – Financial Director
- Mrs Felicia Otoo Ansong – Member
- Mr. Peter Osei Sampong – Member
- Mr. Isaac Asiedu – Member
- Mr. Solomon Asenso Brobbey – Member
- Mr. Ebenezer Amanor-Lartey – Member
CONGREGATIONAL GROUPS AND THEIR INAUGURATION
The following groups were duly inaugurated as follows:
- Church Choir – 30th October, 2011
- Women’s Fellowship – 11th November, 2011
- Young Adult Fellowship – 25th March, 2012
- Young People’s Guild – 26th August, 2012
- Singing Band – 7th December, 2014
- Men’s Fellowship – 18th October, 2015
ROLL OF AGENTS
The following are the agents who have served the Congregation from its inception:
- Caretaker Mr. Partick Ntoni Sasu (Now Re.v. Patrick Ntoni Sasu) – 30th April, 2006 to August 2007
- Catechist Sam Ofori Yeboah (now Rev. Sam Ofori Yeboah) – 31st December 2007 to 26th September, 2010
- Rev. Mrs. Esther Lamiley Segbefia – 17th July, 2011 to 24th June, 2012
- Catechist Nathaniel Narh Nartey – 1st October, 2010 to date
- Catechist Esther Agyekum – January, 2015 to date
- Rev. Dr. Brandfordford Yeboah – 1st September, 2014 to date
The following are members of the current session:
Rev. Dr. Brandfordford Yeboah
Catechist Nathaniel Narh Nartey
Catechist Esther Agyekum
Mrs. Doris Irene Ashong
Mr. Prince Debrah
Mrs. Felicia Ansong
Mrs. Margaret Ansong
Mr. Peter Osei Sampong
Mr. Daniel Prince Addo
Mr. Eric Ampofo
Mr. Ebenezer Doku
LANDMARK HISTORICAL EVENTS
Name of Congregation
With divine inspiration from the Holy Spirit and after consultation with all concerned- lay and ordained including Rev. Dr. Brandford Yeboah, the name ‘SALEM’ was chosen for the chkurch to signify that, the new cxhurch offers safe haven, discipline and hope not only for the members of the church but the larger commuity as a whole.
Aquisition of land
In October 2006, a parcel of land was bought for the church building. On the 11th November, 2009, a formal license was secured from the Registrar General for the celebration of marriages.
Erection of Chapel
Temporary structure for chapel begun on 23rd December, 2006. Sod-cutting for main building was held on 20th May, 2012. Work is still on-going on the main building however it is being used as the place of service.